Serving Onondaga, Madison, Cayuga and Oswego Counties
4030 New Court Avenue
Syracuse, New York 13206
phone: 315.463.5747
fax: 315.463.5741

Home | Profile | Contact



Separation Agreements

Postnuptial & Prenuptial

Collaborative Law

Cohabitation Agreements

Custody & Child Support

Wills, Health Care Proxy,
Power of Attorney &
Living Wills

Other Areas of Practice

Custody, Visitation and Child Support

Custody and child support are generally the most disputed areas in a divorce negotiation as it affects both parties emotionally and financially. If the parties cannot agree as to the custodial arrangement for their children after they decide to separate, a Court will need to make the decision. The Court will determine custody based on what it believes to be in the child’s best interest. The Courts may appoint an attorney to represent the child’s interest in a custody dispute. This attorney will meet with the child and investigate the circumstances of the case and be an advocate for the child.

Sole Legal and Physical Custody
If the parties are unwilling or unable to work together in making decisions regarding the children the Court will give one party sole-custody. Sole custody gives the custodial parent the right to make legal decisions regarding the child and the other parent would have visitation.

Joint Legal Custody
In this situation both parents would have an equal say in legal decisions regarding the child. These decisions would include major decisions regarding religious, medical, educational and legal issues. One parent would be designated the custodial parent in that the child will primarily reside with one parent.

Shared Legal and Physical Custody
Both parents would share in the decision-making regarding the child and the child would reside with both parents equally. Each parent would be given specific time with the child.

Grandparents Rights to Custody and Visitation
The grandparents of a child have a right to petition the Court for visitation when a grandparent can demonstrate to the Court the existence of “extraordinary circumstances” such as the child was in the grandparent’s custody for an extended period of time, or a parent voluntarily relinquished care of the child to a grandparent.

Relocation Issues
If a party wishes to remove the child from the state for reasons such as a remarriage or employment relocation, if the parties cannot decide that the move would be appropriate the Courts can determine whether or not the moving parent can remove the child from the County he or she resides in, taking into consideration a number of factors such as the loss of contact with a parent, financial, emotional and other related interests. Ultimately, the Court will apply the “ best interest” standard in determining whether the move is appropriate for the child.

I represent clients in Onondaga County, Madison County, Cayuga County and Oswego County. I reside in the City of Syracuse and my office is located at 4030 New Court Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13206.
I can be reached at (315) 463-5747 or by e-mail at

Deborah A. Bellomo • Attorney at Law 4030 New Court Ave., Syracuse, New York

Serving Onondaga, Madison, Cayuga, and Oswego Counties

No charge for initial consultation - evening and weekend appointments on request.
This is a legal advertisment only and does not create an attorney client relationship.


home | profile | contact